Saturday, June 2, 2007

Banned From Oprah

I am no longer allowing myself to watch Oprah. Well, at least not for the sad, sobby shows. The part of parenting that I would have to say that sucks the most is when you hear about horrible things that have happened to children, you ball your eyes out, putting yourself in that situation, and you increase your worry (which you have no control over by the way) about ten fold. Yesterday's show was about a little girl who got decapetated by her seat belt in a head on collision that was caused by drunk driving. The mother walked out of the vehicle with her daughter's head in her hands. Can you imagine that? How unbelievably horrifying is that?! How traumatized would you be, having this memory, this moment burned into your soul for the rest of your life. Ot's already painful enough to have your child pass before you but to have it happen in that way? I never cried so hard during Oprah. That show truly did traumatize me to the point where this is the second night I can't sleep because I'm thinking about this horrible thing. Jordy thinks I'm nuts checking in on Izzy when she sleeps longer than usual. But it's obbessive how worried you become for your child. All you want to do is protect this helpless little person. I don't care what people think of me, but I will always be that parent checking to make sure my child is still breathing. I would go insane if I didn't allow myself to.

1 comment:

Gerry said...

Ohhh, can we ban Urs from watching it too? It's time I won back the remote control so that we can watch x files and battlestar galacica.