Thursday, January 10, 2008

What the duck?

Isabel uttered her first word months ago. It was duck. She has a gazillion rubber duckies for bath time and loves to 'eat' them, so naturally it became her first word. She can also say hi. and something that sounds like bye. Of course mama and dada are also in there.She can repeat words, such as "are you playing with your doll, Izzy?" and she would respond with "doll". She knows the names of some things, even though she hasn't said the word. She can point to her teddy bear, blanket, spoon, cheerios (or as I like to call them crackios, because she is addicted), puppies, and babbies. However as of late, everything has become duck. She'll point to pictures in the book and say duck. The tv, a tree, another kid and even me. Apparently all ducks. I don't know if it's a regression thing because of daycare (although I swear she was doing it prior to daycare), if it's just a word she likes to say or if she really just doesn't understand (whaddya mean my kid's not a genius?). It has me somewhat worried, I must confess. Well, until the other day when we were playing in the living room on the floor. We were playing with her little people barn with its horses and little stable boy when she pointed to her little table across the room and said "duck". I had had it! "Okay, where's the duck?" So I stood her up and we walked over to her table. "Where is the duck , Isabel? Mommy doesn't see a duck!" On the table were pieces to a toy, one of which was a duck. Isabel pointed to it, and as if to say "ha, ha on you, lady!" proudly proclaimed "duck!". Maybe she's not going to ride the little school bus after all. But then, she pointed to the bookshelf and said duck again. So I almost wonder if she's trying to say book. Which would make sense when we're reading a book together and she points to the frog and says duck. Maybe she's pointing to the book. But why am I a duck also? Maybe she's requesting a book? I dunno, all I can say is I hope this phases passes soon, and quite honestly I also am having quite the distain for ducks these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.