Sunday, January 6, 2008

baby steps

Maybe it was the tummy full of food, but Miss Izzy was full of energy and rambunctiousness. And confidence. I know, Jordy knows, we all know that Isabel is very ready (and capable) to walk on her own. She has taken her first steps about a month ago, but she has not taken more than two on her own. She refuses to walk with you unless she is holding onto both of your hands, certainly not one. She will stop in her tracks and not move until you give her that other hand. She practically runs with her walker. In fact everything gets turned into a walker; the coffee table, the highchair, her dollhouse. But she refuses to do it on her own...yet. Maybe she's scared. She doesn't cry when she falls. But perhaps she just doesn't feel ready for it yet. And that's fine. I'm not going to push her and make her feel bad. She'll do it when she's ready, I can wait. But tonight she stood up off the floor and with precise control sat right back down. Easy peasy. So I wondered....I stood her up and asked her to walk to daddy. And she did. She walked back to mommy. We did this about 10 times. She LOVED it (all that glorious attention!) and the most she went on her own was 3 steps before falling but hey, good on her for trying, and enjoying it! Maybe that'll help her with her confidence. But it was sure fun to watch her joyous smile get bigger and bigger each turn. A nice way to end a year being home with my baby girl. Tomorrow the saga of daycare begins. My heart is torn, but my wallet is bare. I hate the obvious choice.

No comments: